AVODAH Placement Organizations
This list is intended to give you an idea of the type of position you might have while in AVODAH. This is not the full or final list of potential positions available. Position and placement descriptions vary from year to year.
- Bread for the City provides vulnerable residents of Washington, DC with comprehensive services, including food, clothing, medical care, and legal and social services, in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. AVODAH provides a Legal Clinic and Social Services Case Manager, a Legal Clinic Coordinator, and a Medical Clinic Coordinator to Bread for the City.
- Brainfood uses food as a tool to build life skills and promote healthy living in a fun and creative setting. Promotes active learning, self-reliance, and healthy living to empower youth as resources in their own community.
- Capital Area Immigrant Rights (CAIR) Coalition brings together community groups, attorneys, volunteers and immigrants from the D.C., Virginia and Maryland working to ensure that all immigrants are treated with fairness, dignity and respect for their human and civil rights.
- CASA de Maryland assists Latino immigrants and refugees of modest means with finding work, learning necessary skills, accessing available resources, and building a strong community. AVODAH provides a Legal Assistant to CASA de Maryland.
- Central American Resource Center fosters the comprehensive development of the Latino population in the Washington metropolitan region by providing direct legal services, housing counseling, citizenship education, and community economic development, while promoting grassroots empowerment, civic engagement, and civil rights advocacy.
- The DC Employment Justice Center secures and enforces the rights of low-income workers in the Washington DC metropolitan area. AVODAH provides a Legal and Advocacy Associate to the Employment Justice Center.
- DC Jobs with Justice is a coalition of labor organizations, community groups, religious organizations, and student groups dedicated to protecting the rights of working people and supporting community struggles to build a more just society. AVODAH provides a Worker's Rights and Education Coordinator.
- DC SCORES empowers students in urban communities using soccer, writing, creative expression, and service-learning. With teamwork as the unifying value, DC SCORES insprires youth to lead healthy lifestyles, be engaged students, and become agents of change in their communities. AVODAH provides an Elementary School Program Coordinator and a Coomunity Outreach Coordinator to DC SCORES.
- Food & Friends provides food packages, nutrition counseling, and companionship to people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-challenging illnesses, and their loved ones thoughout Washington, DC and parts of Maryland and Virginia. AVODAH provides a New Services Coordinator to Food & Friends.
- Housing Unlimited, Inc. is a nonprofit affordable hosuign corporation addressing the housing crisis for adults with psychiatric disabilities who reside in Montgomery County, Maryland. AVODAH provides an Associate Director and a Property Manager Assistnat to Housing Unlimited, Inc.
- Jews United for Justice leads Washington, DC-area Jews to act on their shared Jewish values by pursuing justice and equality in the local community. AVODAH provides a Community Organizer to Jews United for Justice.
- La Clínica Del Pueblo provides culturally appropriate health services to persons in the Latino community regardless of their ability to pay. AVODAH provides an Entitlement Case Manager to La Clínica.
- Miriam’s Kitchen provides free, homemade meals and high-quality, individualized support services that address the causes and consequences of homelessness in an atmosphere of dignity and respect in Washington, DC
- N Street Village helps women move from homelessness to independent living and deal with issues of substance abuse and mental illness through day and residential programs. AVODAH provides a Wellness Center Program Assistant to N Street Village.
- Survivors and Advocates for Empowerment (SAFE), Inc. works to ensure the safety and self-determination of domestic violence survivors in Washington, DC through emergency services, court advocacy, and system reform. AVODAH provides a Lethality Assessment Project Advocate to SAFE.
- So Others Might Eat helps the poor and homeless of our nation's capital by meeting their immediate daily needs, such as food, clothing and health care. AVODAH provides aBasic Education Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator to the SOME Center for Employment Training and a Medical Clinic Assistant to the SOME Medical Clinic.
- Thrive DC works to prevent and end homelessness by providing vulnerable individuals with a comprehensive range of services to help stabilize their lives. AVODAH provides an a morning Program Assistant to Thrive DC.
- The Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter High School is a law-themed school that prepares students to succeed in college and to actively engage in our democratic society. AVODAH provides a Programs Associate and a Student Support Services Associate to the Thurgood Marshall Academy.
- The Washington DC Jewish Community Center's Behrend Builders Program teaches volunteers to repair, rebuild, and renovate low-income houses, homeless shelters, community centers, and other vital community facilities. AVODAH provides a Behrend Builders and Community Service Coordinator to the DC JCC.
- Yachad brings communities together by preserving affordable homes and revitalizing neighborhoods throughout the District of Columbia and the greater metropolitan area.
- Program Sites
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email
My placement was a perfect fit! I love my job. I find the work intellectually stimulating and I am passionate about providing legal aid to underserved populations. I feel very prepared to enter law school in the fall. I felt respected by my co-workers and enjoy having much responsibility."
Jenna Brofsky2010-2011 Corps Member