Job Posted: 19/06/2015
Job Title: New York Program Director
Location: New York, NY
New York Program Director
AVODAH develops and engages a network of Jewish leaders working within the Jewish community and beyond to promote social justice and fight domestic poverty. We achieve this through our many programmatic offerings, including the Jewish Service Corps, the AVODAH Fellowship, our alumni network, and our community education and engagement work.
AVODAH is seeking a Program Director to plan, implement and oversee the educational, work-related, housing, and community-building aspects of AVODAH's Service Corps in New York City. This is an excellent position for a confident go-getter who excels at education and group facilitation, managing logistics and competing priorities, building strategic relationships with local organizations and supporters, and mentoring young adults in their early 20s. The NYC Program Director is an integral member of the NYC AVODAH office. The NYC Program Director reports to the National Program Director and serves as part of a dynamic national team to develop and implement the Service Corps program.
- Plan, implement, and serve as lead staff person on all aspects of educational programs including orientation, weekly sessions, retreats, and special programs
- Coordinate and facilitate leadership development activities with corps members
- Coordinate and facilitate community-building activities among corps members
- Facilitate exploration by corps members of social justice and Jewish life
- Provide resources and mentorship to corps members related to their work, community and Jewish lives
- Research, recruit, and serve as liaison with placement agencies
- Facilitate all program logistics
- Actively oversee AVODAH's residential properties, including: managing the house search when necessary, aiding in the move-in and move-out process, resolving maintenance problems with residents and landlords;
- Coordinate with NYC fundraising staff regarding opportunities to include donors and/or foundation funders in programming with corps members
- Facilitate process of selecting and placing new corps members
- Provide oversight to administrative staff on matters related to the Service Corps, including administration of the AmeriCorps award and other issues
- Impeccable interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Demonstrated experience with education, facilitation, and team-building
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with mentorship and leadership development for people in their early 20s
- At least 2-3 years professional experience in informal and/or experiential education
- Familiarity with and respect for a wide range of expressions of Jewish life
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Established connections to local activists and Jewish leaders preferred but not required
- Ability to work regular evenings and occasional weekends a must.
Email resume and cover letter, with availability, to Sarra Alpert, National Program Director, at [email protected]. Please include "NYC Program Director" in the subject line.
AVODAH is an equal opportunity employer.
No phone calls please.
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email