Job Posted: 27/05/2014
Job Title: DC Director
Location: Washington, DC
AVODAH: The Jewish Service Corps strengthens the Jewish community's fight against the causes and effects of poverty in the United States. We do this by engaging participants in service and community building that inspire them to become lifelong leaders for social change whose work for justice is rooted in and nourished by Jewish values.
The Director - AVODAH Washington, DC (the “DC Director”) is responsible for creating a shared vision of the AVODAH DC Site as a vibrant, interconnected, growing community of stakeholders actively working together to advance the Jewish community’s fight against poverty in the DC metropolitan area and across the country, and developing and executing on the strategy necessary to achieve that vision.
In consultation with the Deputy Director, the Director of Development and Communications and the Director of Alumni and Community Engagement, and in coordination with the DC staff, the DC Director will create and implement a three-pronged strategy for the DC Site. It is the responsibility of the DC Director to integrate all three components so they complement each other.
1. Service Corps Member Program (45%) - The DC Director, working with the DC program staff, will adapt and oversee the implementation of the national year-long curriculum for the DC corps members.
- Play lead role in developing programming that advances corps members’ understanding of the root causes of poverty and methods of social change; builds corps members’ professional and leadership skills; allows for an in-depth exploration of the intersection of Judaism and social justice; and connects corps members with leading activists, educators and community leaders.
- Facilitate/implement/design or supervise others in the core aspects of the year-long program.
- Oversee the processes of selecting and matching placement agencies and corps members with one another.
- Direct and supervise the work of the DC Program Associate/Executive Assistant in the implementation of corps member programming, including but not limited to program logistics and house maintenance.
2. Development (45%) - The DC Director, in collaboration with the DC Development Associate, will create and implement a plan to raise funds to support the DC Site.
- In consultation with the Director of Development and Communications and the Director of Foundation Relations, set fiscal year revenue targets and individual donor and foundation strategies for the DC site.
- Steward and solicit AVODAH DC’s major donors.
- Meet with prospective new major donors to communicate the mission and to gauge appropriate engagement and solicitation opportunities.
- Steward DC foundation funders and assist in drafting and submitting letters of inquiry, reports and proposals to same.
- Supervise execution of local elements of national fundraising campaigns, including the year-end direct mail campaign, the incoming corps member campaign and the outgoing corps member campaign.
- Identify prospective foundation funders and ambassadors thereto.
- Work in partnership with the DC Advisory Council to increase AVODAH’s visibility in the DC metro area, cultivate AVODAH DC’s existing portfolio of major donors and attract new major donors.
- Engage and empower DC Advisory Council members and other stakeholders, including alumni, to identify, cultivate and solicit others on AVODAH’s behalf.
- Recruit new DC Advisory Council members and work with Advisory Council to onboard and orient them.
- Create and execute strategy for DC Partners in Justice event and other special fundraising events as appropriate.
- Direct and supervise the work of the DC Development Associate, including prospect research, event logistics, Advisory Council engagement, etc.
3. Community Engagement (10%) - The DC Director will create and implement a plan to involve the broad spectrum of AVODAH’s stakeholders, including corps members, alumni, donors, partners and others - in programming, leadership opportunities and events designed to further their knowledge of and/or involvement in anti-poverty work.
- Work closely with DC Advisory Council to identify appropriate opportunities to invite stakeholders to meet with corps members and alumni, participate in special events and holiday gatherings.
- Work with DC-area alumni leaders and the Director of Alumni and Community Engagement to support the planning and implementation of appropriate engagement, leadership and giving opportunities for DC-area alumni.
The DC Director will perform other duties as directed by the Deputy Director and/or the Director of Development and Communications.
- At least five (5) years experience in anti-poverty work in the non-profit sector or as a community organizer
- At least three (3) years experience managing and/or supervising staff members.
- At least three (3) years non-profit development experience, including work with major donors and foundation fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and be proactive
- Demonstrated facilitation, training, and team-building skills with young adults
- Ability to identify and cultivate relationships with and solicit gifts from new and existing stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work with volunteers and engage them in organizational missions and goals
- Demonstrated ability to create, manage and report on budget
- Track record as energetic, enthusiastic, and a flexible team player
- Supervisory experience and ability to mentor junior staff members
- Sensitivity to and ability to collaborate and work with diverse populations
- Strong collaborative and networking skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Broad familiarity with and respect for a wide range of expressions of Jewish life
- Broad familiarity with social issues surrounding poverty in the United States
- Personal commitment to the work of integrating social activism and Jewish life
- Established connections to local activists and Jewish leaders preferred but not required
- Ability to work regular nights and some weekends a must
Please send cover letter and resume to Steve Bocknek, Director of Development and Communications, email@example.com. Please make the subject line “DC Director.”
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email