AVODAH Placement Organizations
This list is intended to give you an idea of the type of position you might have while in AVODAH. This is not the full or final list of potential positions available. Position and placement descriptions vary from year to year.
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's mission is to lead the fight against HIV/AIDS and improve the lives of people affected by the epidemic. The collaborate with community organizations to develop and improve HIV/AIDS services; fund and coordinate prevention, care, and advocacy projects; and champion effective, compassionate HIV/AIDS policy. AVODAH provides a Homeless Outreach Assistant to the AIDS Foundation.
- Apna Ghar (Our Home) provides culturally-appropriate, multilingual services, including emergency shelter, to survivors of domestic abuse with a primary focus on the South Asian and other immigrant communities. AVODAH provides a Community Advocate to Apna Ghar.
- The ARK creates a safety net for Chicagoland Jews in need by providing vital human services within a framework of Jewish values and laws, building bridges between volunteers and those in need in the community. AVODAH provides a Social Services Assistant to the ARK.
- Chicago Women's Health Center (CWHC) is a collective of health workers, counselors, outreach health educators, and doctors who provide affordable, respectful, and accessible gynecological and mental health care to women and trans people in the Chicago area. AVODAH provides an Office Manager and Advocacy and Volunteer Coordinator to CWHC.
- Faith in Place helps people of faith understand that issues of ecology and economy-of care for Creation-are at the forefront of social justice. AVODAH provides a Congregational Outreach Worker to Faith in Place.
- Free Spirit Media partners with schools and organizations to provide education, access and opportunity in media production to underserved urban youth. AVODAH provides a Program Assistant to Free Spirit Media.
- Friedman Place is a supportive living community for blind and visually impaired adults in Chicago. A full range of services and activities is provided so that residents' days are healthy, dignified, and stimulating. AVODAH provides an Assistant Activity Coordinator to Friedman Place.
- Heartland Alliance helps people living in poverty or danger improve their lives and realize their human rights. Diverse programs serve people who are in the toughest of circumstances and are the hardest to reach, including survivors of violence, torture, and war and people living in extreme hardship or poverty. AVODAH provides two Corps Members to Heartland Alliance: a Housing Resource Specialistand an Asset Building Program Aide.
- Inspiration Corporation helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives and increase self-sufficiency through the provision of social services, employment training and placement, and housing, in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. AVODAH provides two Corps Members to Inspiration Corporation: a Housing and Supportive Services Assistant and a Community Voice Mail Coordinator.
- Lincoln Park Community Shelter (LPCS) is a comprehensive social service agency serving adult men and women who are experiencing homlessness. LPCS provides interim housin, meals, and a targeted array of social services to over 300 people each year. AVODAH provides a Volunteer Coordinator at LPCS.
- Youth Organizations Umbrella (Y.O.U.) is a youth development agency that provides services and leadership to meet the emerging needs of young people and their families in our community. AVODAH provides a Community School Associate to Y.O.U.
- Women's Treatment Center provides women with a continuum of care, recovery tools, and parenting tools to maintain a sober lifestyle as they rebuild their lives and futures and mend the bonds with their families. AVODAH provides an Alumnae Association Coordinator to Women's Treatment Center.
- Program Sites
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email
In the last year, I've learned more than I thought possible about the causes and effects of poverty in Chicago. Being part of a community as supportive as AVODAH has allowed me to stay positive when, naturally, the situations I am exposed to every day threaten to make me depressed and pessimistic.”
Abi Weber2011-2012 Corps Member